Sunday, May 19, 2013

Life in Nairobi



I know its been a while since I’ve last updated the blog. I’ve had many ideas on what to write but so much as happened that I don’t really know where to start. Its also hard to believe I’ve been in Nairobi for a month already and am heading to South Sudan this week. In many ways I’m ready to go yet in other ways I feel like there is so much to do and learn.

Life in Nairobi has been busy and interesting. Early on I learned that things change all the time out here. Within the first week I was asked to move from one apartment to another due to some unforeseen complication. Although the moving came as a surprise, it was very beneficial as I ended up staying in a more central location which was very helpful for the many things I had to do that I wasn’t expecting. I’ve also switched the language I will be learning and now will be learning Arabic as it has become the trade language in the area of South Sudan I will be working in. I also learned calling ahead before going to a destination is key, especially if its farther away.  About a week after I got here I took a cab with my fiancée to the Canadian embassy to take care of some paperwork he needed done. The website showed that it was open until noon but when we arrived there at 10:45am we found out that they had changed their schedule for the day and were only open until 10:30am. Needless to say I got to know a little more of the city but we didn’t get much else done that morning.

Walking is the main way to get around. Most of the places I have needed to go to are within a 20 minute walk of my apartment. There are times however when a bus/matatu is a better way to travel. One such occasion was to get my computer repaired. The previous 2 trips to this office I had walked 40 minutes there as I wasn’t sure how the bus system worked. It was an interesting experience trying to figure out were the buses went and how to get on/off.  Just looking at the bus monitor person can result in them stopping to pick you up as you walk on the side of the road. I accidentally figured this out one of my first times out walking and had a bus stop to pick me up when I was just looking at the traffic…. Oops. 

Shopping here is great. There are tons of fresh/fruits veggies available at the local market. It’s also an adjustment as many premade/processed products are expensive. As a result I’m finding great recipes to make homemade bread, salad dressing, and other foods that in the past I would have just bought. They even have the dutch cheese which is about the same price as the cheddar I normally buy. Needless to say I’ve switched to the dutch stuff J I also got to see how this cheese is made during a tour of the local cheese factory. I’m tempted now to try and make my own cheese. It should be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. It's great to see an update :) It sounds like you have adjusted really well.

    ReplyDelete