Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Its been a while


Its been a while since I posted on this blog. Well part of it is because I spent most of February as both the medical "doctor" and the computer doctor. J was gone for a month to Kenya for some computer workshops/courses. Since he is the IT support for the team someone needed to be in charge and deal with any problems that came up over that time. That person was me. Although it was a busy month I had alot of fun and learned lots. before J left he gave me a crash course in all the different programs the team here uses so I could assist with any problems and do any necessary updates.
Much of my work consisted of submitting bug reports, resetting computer passwords, and pulling data from corrupted harddrives.
One team in particular had some problems when they were running a few different programs and working with someone in another country over the computer. Well its true that when the computer tech is around problems don't happen. After spending one morning running back and forth to their office fixing the problem and sending bug reports I started doing my work in their office. Well as soon as I did that there were no more problems. Later that week I got a call from the team saying they were having problems again so please come and sure enough before I got there I got another call from them saying "don't come anymore, the computer is scared of you and fixed itself". I guess computers aren't fond of their doctor :) The problem never did fully resolve (I think it was a combo of some program bugs and maxing out an already limited internet bandwidth) but we were able to manage and come up with some creative fixes so they could continue working.
The most fun was being able to reset passwords and getting data off of corrupted harddrives. Resetting the passwords was pretty easy given how J has things set up and I got to do some MSDos style stuff to reset things. Does anyone else remember MSDos??? (if you don't remember it was around the time of Windows 3.1... ok, now I'm really dating myself). Pulling data from the old harddrive was also kind of fun too. Although it wasn't hard, I did need a special device. I had initially tried to boot up the old computer and put the harddrive into another computer to get the data hoping it was a computer problem and not a harddrive issue but both ways failed since the problem was most likely a result of the harddrive corrupted in a vital area. Well the fancy device J owns allowed me to make the harddrive into an external one where I could bypass the corrupt section and pull the files needed. Since none of the files needed were corrupted it was just a matter of copy/paste onto a new harddrive. It was pretty basic but also cool how easy it is to get data off of harddrives if you have the right equipment. If it ever happens back in Canada and J isn't around I'll spend my money on this device instead of paying for the repair.
As much as I didn't like J being away, it was a good month where I learned lots.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very interesting week. It's nice to know you have power over the computer without even touching a key ;) Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. next I need to learn how to access them remotely.... J was able to fix a few things from Nairobi himself this way. Its cool having him do the repairs while I sit back and watch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Danielle! Glad you are having so much fun and wish you both the blessing of the Lord in all you do.
    Aunt Mary

    ReplyDelete