Saturday, January 24, 2015

A trip through town


What does it mean to ride a motorcycle through the city? In general it means navigating through crazy drivers and people who break every traffic law that exists. It also means that as a female on a motorcycle there are many that are somewhat surprised to see me riding around. A few weeks ago I went to the airport to see a friend who was flying through. At the airport there is an area where all the motorcycle guys park their bikes and hang out until someone needs a ride so I thought it best to park there and wait until her flight arrived as I wasn't sure if I could bring the bike up to the main parking area where all the cars/land rovers are (out here there aren't many signs about what can and cant be done and even if there is, one never knows if its correct as rules are always changing). I pulled up and the conversations started. They all wanted to know if the bike was mine and how much I charge for 'transport'. They also wanted to know why I didn't have a car/land rover to drive instead. Soon the conversation turned to the standard marriage questions and how since I'm married I can't marry any of them. Skin color and why my skin is light and thiers is dark was another conversation which thankfully this time I at least didnt get told I look like a pig (previous conversation with someone else and that was what she compared my skin to). I also was told I need to learn one of the dominant local languages in addition to my arabic. It also became a bit of entertainment for the guys I was chatting with to tell any new comers that "no, she doesn't need a ride because she has a bike" before they asked if I needed a ride just to see their reaction (which ironically is the same reaction they had when I told them I had my own bike). I suspect that my market reputation of being a white person who speaks arabic has now been expanded beyond the market to the city overall as a white woman who rides a motorcycle and speaks arabic.

No comments:

Post a Comment