Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Another bike story

A few days ago my bike skills were expanded when I managed to pop a hole in the front tire on my way to school. After asking a local shop owner where I could get air where things got lost in translation and quick call to J, I was starting to walk the bike home since I had no repair kit with me. Seeing the long walk ahead of me I decided to ask one of the local boda (motorbike) drivers since I could better explain what I needed by pointing to parts on their bike and chances are they had needed some repairs in the past as well. It turns out the closest repair place was just down the road (down a hill at that) and they only charged me 25 pounds for the repair (about $8US) and a new tube. The only problem, I needed to pay cash (no one out here takes MC or Visa and even the airlines want cash for a ticket) and I had only 13 pounds on me (I figured it was enough for lunch and a bus ride if I needed it). Even J who had come to help push the bike home didn't have any cash. Needless to say that meant walking home (thankfully without the bike to push) and coming back with the money. Bonus was that the compound manager was just leaving for a meeting near where I left the bike so I was able to catch a ride with him back to the shop. In all I was only about 45minutes late for my first day at the school... oops. Next time I'll travel with more cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment