Friday, January 2, 2015

Medical days


I don't have a set schedule as for now I'm only doing the part time medical care for the team that works here on the compound so for the most part many of the staff will just stop in and chat about thier concerns. working here is very different than in my home country but also different than things in D. in my home country if I want tests done I just order them and the patient can go without having to pay for them while in D, there simply were so few tests that we treated based on their medical symptoms and our examinations. Here in J things are somewhere in the middle, many tests are available however everything costs money. The local clinic nearby has a wide variety of tests that they do and if you go to the medical center on the other side of town there is Xray, ultrasound, and possibly even a CT machine. My biggest challenge here is balancing the need for tests and medicines with the staff's ability to pay for them. One way I've been able to help reduce these costs is by finding out what medicines they use regularly and buying them in bulk at the wholesaler which has drastically reduced the costs for them. Another thing I've been working on is how can they treat themselves with what local things are available. One good example of this is using aloe vera plants instead of buying creams for burns and minor cuts. Although this is one of the more wellknown natural treatments there are many more out there and I've been researching them one by one to see what can be of use. This alone has been a challenge as there isn't a whole lot of good, reliable, research out there for many natural products.

No comments:

Post a Comment